- Feb 27, 2023
- Coastal Health
As World Oceans Day approaches, we’re reminded of the importance of protecting our oceans. The oceans are essential for human life, and the threat of rising temperatures, exploitation of resources and other environmental concerns put the lives of fundamental marine species at risk. The ocean covers over 70% of the planet, produces at least 50% of the planet’s oxygen, is home to the majority of biodiversity and feeds more than a billion people around the planet. As tourism continues to return, it is our responsibility to ensure that we do everything we can to protect this precious resource. World Oceans Day is a day to celebrate the beauty of our oceans, learn why protecting them is critically important and take action to do so.
Iberostar is committed to leading responsible tourism, and we do so through our science-based initiatives driven by the action of our Wave of Change movement. The ocean is what connects us with the communities where we operate. A very fundamental way for us to help protect the ocean is to raise awareness and respect among not just our clients at the hotels, but the communities surrounding our properties. Transferring knowledge of the importance of coastal ecosystems and everything they bring to communities is a priority.
In celebration of World Oceans Day 2021, we are proud to announce our new Wave of Change Discovery program, aimed at connecting people and communities with the ocean.
Wave of Change Discovery is a program aimed at contributing knowledge to all of our stakeholders in an effort to protect and restore our oceans. We are committed to ensuring that all stakeholders value the natural world and acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to make informed decisions and carry out responsible actions that help preserve marine ecosystems. We will do this the way we know best, by creating connections.
Our responsibility is to care for and protect our oceans, and the experiences that we create can leave a lasting impression. Iberostar offers holiday experiences that seek to engage our clients directly with the environments they’re visiting.
How will we connect our clients and communities with the ocean? We will do so through implementing these categories of initiatives:
- Experiences: creating unique experiences that help connect our guests with nature to reinforce why we all play an integral role in protecting our oceans
- Education and awareness: through several educational programs in the communities where we operate, we can help influence the next generation of people to care for and protect nature
- Communication: clearly communicating our commitments and the actions we are taking to achieve them objectives and why we feel they are important to all our stakeholders
- Employee engagement: continuing to make the members of teams at Iberostar the best ambassadors of the work we are doing
- Research: by pushing the boundaries of knowledge through novel research with our internal science team and the scientific community
We invite you to celebrate World Oceans Day with us. All week long, on our social media pages (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter), we will be posting content that highlights why our oceans are so important to us. Follow along to learn more and discover your connection to the ocean!